Saturday, June 23, 2007

Yup, in a white tee.



It all started with my quest for black people. I knew they were somewhere in Pittsburgh, tucked away from the wasp nests of Shadyside and the bagelries of Squirrel Hill. I set out one Friday afternoon, hopping on an inbound 71D. First we passed some shanties (including the "BUY CRACK HERE" house) and I felt the apparition of disappointment upon me. This can't be! Even downtown Atlanta isn't this shabby in its seedy parts.

We continued down Fifth and the closer we got to downtown, the more the scenery looked like ATL. Packs of boys in white tees, flat billed Steelers caps, and a smattering of faux Bape on the flyest cats.

My search had come to a fruitful end, and the first holler I received (Ayo! Babygirl! How you doin' boo?) seconds after stepping off the bus at Wood St. indicated my success.*

*I should add that I'd previously discovered East Liberty and Homewood on the East End, but that had been purely by chance en route to Fox Chapel (where the brown-o-metre swiftly returned to zero).

No comments: