Monday, June 30, 2008

Politics, Couture

Consider Karma. I've had to. In fact, one Thursday night last fall I labored over conceptualizing Karma into clothing. It was ultimately a waste of time.

I'd already conceived French Dub Thriller, a fall/spring play on color, pattern, and cinema. Movies are kind of like Karma, right? Wrong. They kissed my ass in the interview then told me they'd seen it before. To be exact, they'd seen it after. Same with Deviant, my last year's Lunar Gala collection. Two weeks ago in Brooklyn I bought Forever 21's take on my naughy nautical boatnecked frock.

Perhaps, like politics, art has to shock people. A female and a black person compete for controversy. A college freshman designs and constructs a clothing line that gives form and prettiness the bird. Big. Ass. Deal.

Cinema goes much further than it used to in shocking people. Instead of paying a nickel to see "Reefer Madness," Netflix "Kids". You'll feel much worse about life after. This season's runway takes itself seriously, perhaps to exemplify its comparative maturity to Hollywood celebreality.

So French Dub Thriller "wasn't conceptual enough", in other words, "too obvious". After hearing this, I decided to make a movie instead. This wasn't obvious enough. But in filmmaking that's called obscure and people love that.

French Dub Thriller is evolving similar to my musicmaking abilities. Mashups have become electro-hip-hop-glitch-rock compositions, and today I designed the French Dub Thriller Lazy Jumper and Portal Gown.

Turns out Karma really is a bitch.

No comments: